Friday 23 October 2009

College Magazine - Evaluation

Evaluation
In the past few weeks I have been researching, planning and creating to produce a college magazine front cover and contents page. I‘ve research different types of magazine and what the conventions of a magazine is, for example the differences between a fashion magazine and a college magazine.

I have created plans, drafts and mood boards with digital technology. However I have made some by hand which I need to scan and post onto my blog.

To create my front cover I used conventions of what all magazines should have mine include: Masthead, main image, selling lines, bar code, main story, model credit, date/issue, main cover line and cover lines. For my front cover the image was take from Canon Digital IXUS I zoom, 5.0 megapixels. I have taken some other photos that were taken from a camera that was the college. If I remember correctly I think it was a 10 megapixels. The photos taken from the 10 megapixels camera, I didn’t really like them, as I didn’t think they was professional enough when I looked at the photos they doesn’t feels as though it’s a magazine as I wouldn’t pick up a magazine looking like that in the first place, so I think neither will my audience.

The font that I have used for my front cover, in my opinion they’re suitable for the front cover. However I do think that I might have over done it. I found it difficult to find the right colour that would suit my front over. Because normally a magazine front cover the text/cover lines are bold and simple. However I have put ‘fill effects’ for some of mine, so that it stand out, but I really do think that I have over done it. I have used 4 different types of colours for my text. These are Red, Orange, Black and White because I think it suits the theme “Halloween”. Orange seems to be a theme for Halloween as pumpkins are orange, you may say that orange has become a symbol/tradition of Halloween. For the college title/masthead was planning to use blue or red. However blue didn’t really stand out or show up, so I used red. The main image and title/masthead was created in Adobe Photoshop CS3 as I wanted my model to be on top of the title/masthead. I haven’t edited or used any effect for my front cover; all I did was cut my model out and made it a layer on top of the title and background. When I researched magazine covers I realise that most magazine covers doesn’t over layer the masthead over their model. I have kept the image background as the original, as I believe it looks good as it is, than having a white background.

My audience is mainly Wyke college students however teachers and student’s family and relatives may pick it up and read or look at the magazine when the student takes the magazine home. So I have to make the magazine family friendly and suitable for all ages to look and read. If the magazine was real and to be published my magazine would contain: upcoming events, scores from games e.g. football or netball, important dates and also what’s going on inside and outside Wyke. For example if students have done something and they’re proud of and would like it to be published e.g. saved a life, won a football match, dance completion. Also contain messages that were on the PowerPoint in tutorial for students who missed it or want to know more information about it.

The strength for my magazine I would say it is the main image and masthead. The model for my magazine was one of my friends called Emily, she was happy to participate. The front cover is what sells the product to I would say the front cover is the most important, the language image is much stronger than text. The weakness would be the cover lines/colours of them and I don’t think they look as good as I wanted then to be. I have made drafts and steps by steps on my blog that you would see that I have gradually developed from stage 1.


http://sofili71092.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment